Federer hands flag honour to Wawrinka

Roger Federer has handed the honour of carrying Switzerland's flag at tonight's opening ceremony at the Olympic Games in London to doubles partner Stanislas Wawrinka. Federer, who carried the flag for his nation in Athens and Beijing, said he was happy for his gold-medal-winning doubles partner to shoulder the responsibility.

"I felt it was important to give someone else a chance," Federer said. "I told Switzerland they should choose someone else and they then chose my partner Stan, and I think it's a great honour for him because I couldn't have won Olympic gold without him and everybody knows that. That's why I think they chose the right guy."

"I thought about it for a long time, what I should do with it when they offered it to me. First, I obviously hoped they would offer it to me and only later when I did accept it, I thought it was better for me to give it to someone else actually."

Date: 27th July 2012, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment