Roger Federer won Olympic silver medal at London 2012 Olympics

Roger Federer won the Olympic silver medal today after losing against Andy Murray 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 in the final at Wimbledon.

"For me, it's been a great month. I won Wimbledon, became World No. 1 again, and I got Olympic silver medal. Don't feel too bad for me."

Roger started well, earining a break-point in the opening game, but Murray rallied to hold. And then, from 2-2  the match suddenly started slipping away for Roger as he lost every game until 0-5 in the second set. Roger tried to hang in there and did have his chances to break, including in the third game of the second set where he could not convert six break points but Murray finally also took that game. Murray eventually went on to end the match with three aces in series.

Roger believes the emotional demands of going for gold at the Olympics left him a spent force in Sunday's final thrashing by Andy Murray.

Just four weeks after beating Murray to win a record-equalling seventh Wimbledon title and return to the top of the world rankings, Federer suffered one of the worst major final defeats of his career as Murray swept to 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 victory on Centre Court.

Federer had hoped to crown his glorious career by adding a first Olympic singles gold medal to his 17 Grand Slam titles, but the 30-year-old found it impossible to subdue Murray once the world number four got off to a flying start.

While Federer conceded Murray was a worthy winner, the Swiss great claims he was already mentally exhausted after battling through the longest three-set men's singles match in the Open Era just to reach the final.

Federer took 4 hours and 26 minutes to beat Juan Martin del Potro in the semi-finals and that gruelling experience, combined with some earlier hard-fought matches against Alejandro Falla and John Isner, were too much to recover from in time to face the rampant Murray.

"I felt OK physically, I think it was maybe more emotionally because, God, I had tears in my eyes after my first-round match, believe it or not," Federer said.

"I almost broke down after the Falla first round match because I understood how close I was to losing. That was how much it meant to me."

"There's no doubt about it, I felt the same way exactly after the semis. Maybe there was so much emotion already out of me that today that kind of hindered me from playing my absolute very best."

"For me, it's always been a dream to be part of the Olympic spirit and I didn't want to just have it go on for one day."

"Obviously, the Del Potro match emphasised all of that and made it go to some crazy extremes, which I never thought it would."

"But I'm happy I had a match like that, even though it may have cost me the finals."

Whatever the emotional damage of his earlier matches, Federer still gave disappointing display. He failed to win a single break-point and offered little resistence as Murray swept towards the finish line.

"It was a combination of many things today. The result was a bit too brutal, I do believe. But credit to Andy for making it happen," Federer said.

"I just think he was better, and I missed my chances. I took poor decisions in some big moments at times."

"I mean, I didn't win a break-point. I have myself to blame at times. But at the same time he put me time and time in a tough position as well."

Date: 5th August 2012, Source: RF Official and Reuters

0 comments:

Post a Comment