Federer hoping to finish the season strong

Despite obvious disappointment, World No. 1 Roger Federer insisted he had no regrets following his quarter-final defeat to Tomas Berdych on Wednesday at the US Open. The five-time former champion fought hard to extend the match to four sets against the Czech, but ultimately bowed out 7-6(1), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 in the night session on Arthur Ashe Stadium.

"I mean, in terms of that I tried, I don't have any regrets there," said Federer afterwards. "Obviously, I rarely go through matches where I have no chances. So obviously I missed some tonight again, but that's normal. When you end up losing at the end, you always hope that you made every chance you had. It's just not possible. He probably created more than I did, and that's why he ended up winning tonight."

"Regrets were early in my days," said the 17-time Grand Slam champion. "I was trying to come through and I couldn't figure out how to always be in great shape, always be in a good mood to play, always ready to practise, all that stuff."

"Today I always know I'm going to put in the best fight. I did that tonight again with what I had. Obviously I wish I could have played better. So many moments I thought, 'Man, it's just not happening for me.' It was just a very disappointing match for me."

The 31-year-old Federer came into New York in scintillating form. He returned to World No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings following his triumph at Wimbledon (l. to Murray), before capturing a silver medal at the London 2012 Olympic Games and lifting his 21st ATP World Tour Masters 1000 trophy at the Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati (d. Djokovic). He had not dropped a set on his run through to the quarter-finals, but was granted a walkover through the fourth round against Mardy Fish.

"I really expected myself to play better tonight," admitted Federer, who reigned at Flushing Meadows from 2004-2008. "Especially at night I have had such a great record. I felt good. Such an amazing summer I had. I really thought I was going to come out and play a solid match. I didn't do that tonight. Obviously there is a bit of a letdown now."

Looking ahead to the remainder of the season, Federer expressed his desire to finish year-end No. 1 for the sixth time. He has already secured his place at the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London, where he will join Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray.

"No. 1 has another a role to play, but this obviously is a setback," said Federer. "But again, the season is not over. I hope to finish strong at the end, and particularly in the indoor season."

Date: 6th September 2012, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment