Federer lost in quarterfinals of US Open

Tomas Berdych played spoiler in Roger Federer’s bid for a sixth US Open title, upsetting the top-seeded Swiss 7-6(1), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 in the quarter-finals Wednesday night on Arthur Ashe Stadium.

It marks the first time in eight years that Federer has failed to reach the semi-finals at Flushing Meadows.

"I'm disappointed. I really expect myself to play better tonight, especially at night I have had such a great record," said Federer. "I felt good. Such an amazing summer I had. I really thought I was going to come out and play a solid match. I didn't do that tonight. Obviously there is a bit of a letdown now."

Federer had entered the match on a nine-match winning streak, following his title win in Cincinnati on the eve of the US Open, and with a perfect record in night session matches on Arthur Ashe Stadium. He secured the first break of serve, but his lead proved short-lived as Berdych broke back and took the first set in the tie-break.

The Czech, who defeated Federer in their last Grand Slam meeting two years ago in the Wimbledon quarter-finals, secured the second set with two breaks and opened the third with another break of serve. But two untimely double-faults by the Czech - on break point opportunities for Federer - turned the momentum briefly in the five-time champion’s favour.

Though Federer pulled within a set, he was unable to overcome Berdych. The Czech put a forehand winner past Federer on break point opportunity go up 5-3 and served out the match at love.

"I cannot count on beating Roger in straight sets and not getting in any trouble," said Berdych. "I was always careful that anything could happen. Actually, it happened in the third set that he came strongly back. But for that, I'm even more happy with the way that I was able to hold his pressure and then add something extra for the fourth set."

Federer had earned a walkover into the quarter-finals, following Mardy Fish's withdrawal due to health issues, and was playing his first match since Saturday.

"I should come in here with tons of energy and ready to go," he said. "Who knows, if you get that day, that match in with Fish, come through with more confidence, maybe the first three matches didn't quite give me that. Who knows? I don't put that down as a negative, really. I just didn't come up with the goods tonight. It was unfortunate."

Date: 6th September 2012, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment