Roger Federer wants rest after exhausting season

Fresh from powering Switzerland back to World Group Play, World’s no.1 Roger Federer is yearning for an extended rest to better prepare him for the season-ending grind in November.

Federer, who booked a 6-1, 6-4, 6-4 win over Robin Hasse to give Switzerland the victory against the Netherlands in their Davis Cup World Group playoff Sunday, admitted he is tired and needs some rest after exhausting but productive 2012 tennis season.

“I’m wounded. I’m tired. I’m exhausted, so I need some time off right now and then see where I go from here,” Federer told reporters following his Davis Cup victory.

“Nothing’s been decided yet for the rest of the year even though there’s a plan in place. That plan might change I just have to now go back to the drawing board and decide what’s important, what’s most important and what’s really important so we’ll see what happens,” the Swiss Maestro added.

Asked about his participation in the Davis Cup, Federer said he’s glad to join the Swiss team and help them back in the world group.

“For me it’s more about taking part with my team-mates, I enjoy being with them, and that’s about it really. I have a good time and my team-mates are all my best friends – I don’t see them regular basis on tour and we have a great friendship and it’s always a lot of fun.”

Federer is currently leading Serbia’s Novak Djokovic by 1335 points in the ATP world ranking. Federer has to defend 3000 points in Basel, Paris Masters and ATP World Tour Finals. He did not played in last year's Shanghai Rolex Masters, so he can grab some points from Shanghai before he head to Basel.

Nevertheless, Federer has come up with a stellar year at the age of 31, winning the Wimbledon, Indian Wells Masters, Cincinnati Masters, Madrid Masters, a silver medal in the London Olympics, Rotterdam and Dubai Championships.

Date: 18th September 2012, Source: Student News ie

0 comments:

Post a Comment