Federer gearing up for “many highlights” following Shanghai title

For the 13th time in his career, Roger Federer eclipsed the 60-match threshold in a season, with his run to the title at the Shanghai Rolex Masters. With three tournaments remaining on his 2014 schedule, the newly anointed World No. 2 refuses to slow down and is giving the rest of the ATP World Tour reason for concern.

Federer says he is gearing up for a strong finish. “I think this year everything is going really well. I still have so many highlights to look forward to for the end of the season, which is very nice. Usually everything slows down at the end of the season. Not for me this time.”

On Sunday, the Swiss claimed his 23rd ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title and first in Shanghai with a 7-6(6), 7-6(2) win over Gilles Simon. For just the third time, Federer has advanced to five Masters 1000 title matches in a single season (2006-07), having also reached the final in Indian Wells, Monte-Carlo and Toronto, and capturing his sixth trophy in Cincinnati. With the year-end World No. 1 spot in the ATP Rankings in sight, the Basel native lauded the hard work put in ahead of the season.

“The biggest concern was to be healthy this year. That's something I'm just so pleased about, to see that the hard work I put in last year is paying off. Not only is it paying off, but I'm feeling good, I'm waking up normal. I'm not half broken like I was last year. I'm enjoying myself on the tennis court. I'm playing the way I was hoping I could play again. Everything fell into place. I'm playing a very consistent, solid season.

“I haven't had a cramp since ‘99. That was my only time, in Davis Cup, when I was panicky. I was young. I'm very proud of that. Never pulled out. Never had cramps. Never lost very much because of fitness, especially later on in my career where I knew I've put in the hard work. I've done that. I've been very fortunate and clever as well to understand how I need to work, when I need to work. So I'm very happy to have stayed injury free for so long. I hope I can still maintain a few good years on the tour. I really hope so.”

Federer, who concludes his 2014 campaign at the Swiss Indoors Basel, BNP Paribas Masters, a record 13th straight Barclays ATP World Tour Finals and the Davis Cup Final, had high praise for the Asian swing’s crown jewel following Sunday’s final. A two-time champion at the season finale when the event was held in Shanghai (2006-07), the 33 year old says he has been eager to tick off the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event.

“I feel unbelievable prestige to win this event. Especially putting my hands on the trophy for the first time is a good feeling, I must say.

“I think the site, number one, makes this a very attractive tournament. Number two, the city I think is incredible. But then that alone is just not enough. The players need to feel very welcome. They need to feel special. I feel the tournament tries unbelievably hard for us. Just the hard work they put in to show that they care about us…It has all the ingredients for a world class tournament. I think the organisers deserve a big, big thank you and applause really, in my opinion.”

Date: 13th October 2014, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment