Federer gives pizza party for Basel ball kids

After winning his sixth Basel trophy on Sunday in a dominant performance against David Goffin, Roger Federer celebrated as he does every time he has reached Swiss Indoors final - by throwing a pizza party for the tournament ball kids.

The 33 year old has a very special relationship with the ball kids at this event. Federer himself was a ball boy in Basel, which this year celebrated its 25th year as being part of the ATP World Tour.

"That's exactly where I'm going right now," Federer said as he wrapped up his press conference. "In a minute you'll see me with the ball boys and ball girls. That's how it all started with me. I would ride my bike from home - about five to 10 minutes away - and I was a ballboy here all day long and would go back home and do it again the next day. So I always have a tradition where everyone has a pizza with me after the final. It's been 11 times now. I do it win or lose, regardless."

Federer was playing in his 11th final at this ATP World Tour 500 event, winning his sixth title in eight years and the first since 2011. He finished runner-up to Juan Martin del Potro in 2012 and 2013.

Date: 26th October 2014, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment