Federer: I couldn't really get the whole game flowing

Roger Federer admitted he “couldn’t really get the whole game flowing” on Friday when he suffered his earliest exit at the Australian Open in 14 years.

“Maybe my rhythm was missing,” said Federer, after his loss to Andreas Seppi. “I was aware that this could be a tough match, so I wasn't mistaken this time around.

“I guess it was just an overall feeling I had today out on the court that I couldn't really get the whole game flowing. Was it backhand? Was it forehand? Was it serve? It was a bit of everything.”

But the four-time champion was full of praise for Seppi, who broke a 23-match losing streak against players in the Top 10 of the ATP Rankings with the third-round victory.

“We’ve played some good matches in the past,” said World No. 2 Federer. “He hits a good ball, forehand and backhand, so I knew that on a quicker court where he gets more help on the serve it was potentially going to be tricky. And I felt, for some reason, yesterday and this morning it was not going to be very simple today.”

Federer lost 6-4, 7-6(5), 4-6, 7-6(5), committing 55 unforced errors and hitting nine double faults.

“I wish I could have won the first set; then things would have been different. But I definitely wanted to go into the match, play aggressive, play the right way, play on my terms, but it was just hard to do. For some reason I struggled. It had things to do with Andreas' game and with my game as well. You put those things together, then all of a sudden you're playing a match you don't want to play.

“But it just broke me to lose that second set. And actually the fourth, I should have won it, too. It was just a brutal couple of sets to lose there.”

Federer will next play at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, where he is a six-time champion.

Date: 23rd January 2015, Source: ATP

1 comments: