Federer eased into Monte Carlo third round

Second seed Roger Federer required just 55 minutes to cruise past Jeremy Chardy 6-2, 6-1 on Wednesday for a place in the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters third round.

Federer hit 19 winners to five for Chardy, and made 12 unforced errors to record his 17th victory in 19 matches this year, which includes two ATP World Tour titles in Brisbane and Dubai.

“I thought Jeremy didn’t serve very well, and I felt good on the return,” said Federer.

“So I was in a lot of the service games when he was serving. Then I thought I served well, had a high first serve percentage and was able to control the baseline. On clay, things move ahead very quickly, I must say.

“I've had 10 days of clay training and I feel prepared. It's difficult to make any kind of judgment after a 55minute match, but I'm feeling good at training.”

The 33-year-old Federer, who lost to Chardy at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome last year, was competing for the first time since 22 March, when he finished runner-up to Novak Djokovic in Indian Wells.

Federer is competing at the Monte-Carlo Country Club for the 12th time and is looking to finally lay his hands on the winner’s trophy that has so far eluded him. The Basel native was runner-up in 2006-08, losing out to Rafael Nadal each time, and last year was thwarted in the title match by countryman Stan Wawrinka.

Next up for Federer will be either Gael Monfils or Alexandr Dolgopolov.

Date: 15th April 2015, Source: Monte Carlo and AP

0 comments:

Post a Comment