Federer aims to entertain in quest for 'Holy Grail'

Despite losing to Novak Djokovic 7-6(1), 6-7(10), 6-4, 6-3 in the Wimbledon final on Sunday, Roger Federer was grateful for having the chance to compete for an 18th major title in front of a lively and supportive crowd.

“It's great. It's such a huge part of the game, the crowds. So to have so much crowd support around the world, but also particularly here at Wimbledon, which is the Holy Grail, it's beautiful,” said the World No. 2, who matched his 2014 performance at SW19. “I must tell you it almost means as much to me as winning because I've been around for a long, long time. I've played on the outside courts. As of late now it's been so much Centre Court or Court One, either one around the world. But I appreciate when people travel to come see us. There was a great atmosphere out there.”

Regardless of the outcome, playing the match aggressively and giving the crowd a good show meant a great deal to the Swiss.

“It's no fun ever losing really, unless you know that you've entertained the crowd, you can be happy with your performance, and then you get it over quicker. But it doesn't mean you're not disappointed, or that you just kind of move on easily from it,” he added.

In the loss, Federer struck 58 winners and matched his tournament average of 67 per cent first serves in play. “I'm right there. My game is good. I got broken very few times this tournament. I played on my terms.”

“I still think I had a great tournament. You can have good tournaments without winning, as well, at the end. I still won six matches, lost one. The ratio still remains very good,” Federer said. “But of course you sort of walk away empty‑handed. For me a finalist trophy is not the same. Everybody knows that.  Thankfully I've won here in the past, so it does not feel like I'm chasing anything. But clearly I would have loved to win today. There's no doubt about it.”

Federer has not won a Grand Slam title since coming out on top at Wimbledon in 2012 (d. Andy Murray), but consolidated his hold on the World No. 2 spot on Sunday and is looking to defy expectations as he approaches his 34th birthday.

“It would have been nicer to win some than to lose some. At the same time I lost against the world No. 1 at the moment. That's the kind of guy you probably can lose against. But I'm not going to accept it and say, it's normal. It's not. I've beaten Novak a few times. I'm one of the few guys who's gotten a chance.  Same with Stan and a few guys that have given Novak a run for the money,” added the Swiss, hinting at the drive and resilience which has allowed him to establish himself as one of the greats of the sport.

Date: 13th July 2015, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment